Study Guide / Outline
- Overview of the study on the tabernacle and its significance.
- Emphasis on the importance of God’s presence among His people.
The Covenant and the Tabernacle
- Explanation of the concept of covenants in the Old Testament.
- God’s covenant with Abraham as an example.
- The idea that God made a covenant with Himself.
- Connection of the two tablets to the covenant.
- God’s affirmation of being the initiator and keeper of the covenant.
The Tabernacle as a Special Place of Worship
- Description of the tabernacle’s significance to God.
- Emphasis on worship and assembly as integral parts of Israel’s identity.
- Highlighting God’s love for gatherings and worship.
- The central role of worship in the lives of the Israelites.
The Establishment of the Tabernacle
- Historical context of the Israelites becoming a nation in bondage.
- The centrality of God in their identity.
- The necessity of having God-centered worship in all aspects of life.
The Temple and Its Meaning
- Introduction to the temple as a permanent version of the tabernacle.
- Exploring the names given to the tabernacle: “dwelling place,” “tent of meeting,” “tent of testimony,” “holy place.”
- Significance of these names in representing God’s presence and covenant.
The Tabernacle as a Type and Shadow
- Explanation of the tabernacle’s typology.
- Reference to John 1:14: “the Word was made flesh and tabernacled among us.”
- The idea that the tabernacle points to Jesus Christ.
The Outer Court
- Description of the outer court.
- Introduction of the altar of burnt offering and its symbolism as a representation of Christ’s sacrifice.
- Mention of the brass laver and its role in purification for service.
The Holy Place
- Explanation of the holy place.
- Description of the altar of incense and its symbolism as representing prayer.
- The intimate communion with God through prayer.
- The table of showbread symbolizing the fruits of righteousness.
The Golden Lampstand
- Introduction of the golden lampstand.
- Emphasis on the importance of illumination in the house of God.
- The lampstand symbolizing the light of truth and purity of God’s truth.
The Most Holy Place
- Description of the most holy place behind the veil.
- Explanation of the Ark of the Covenant as the only piece of furniture.
- The Ark representing God’s presence.
- The role of the high priest and the significance of the annual entry with blood.
- The comparison to Jesus as our high priest.
- Summary of the awesomeness of God’s presence.
- The accessibility to the most holy place through Jesus Christ.
- Encouragement to recognize and enjoy God’s presence in worship.